Get Ready to Tackle Hard Conversations
Episode #018 Host: Tammy J. Bond
If you’ve been avoiding a difficult conversation with someone in the workplace, this episode is for you. Today on Playing In The Sandbox, I’m sharing some specific, actionable tips that can give you the confidence to walk into a bold conversation from a place of strength and respect.
Great communicators are responsible for what they say, how they are understood, and listening with a sincere intent to understand the other person. Here are 10 tips for making hard conversations productive and solution-based:
- Recognize when a conversation is becoming difficult or unproductive.
- Set the ground rules at the beginning.
- Be honest and open about your feelings. Practice active listening so you understand the other person's position and body language.
- Stay oriented to the topic, not the other person.
- Take notes during the conversation.
- Ask clarifying questions.
- Summarize what is said and make sure everyone is in agreement before moving on.
- Think outside the box when finding mutually beneficial solutions.
- End the conversation on a positive note.
- Follow-up after the conversation.
Playing In The Sandbox Podcast is brought to you by Tammy J. Bond
In today's swift-moving employee market leaders are far too often putting people that are technically good at their jobs into leadership positions, without first developing them on how to be leaders of people.
How do you course correct, or better yet make sure you don’t make that common mistake? Develop your people to lead others from the moment they join your team. For more tools on how to develop others around you, contact us today.
We'd love for you to join us for our next episodes by tuning in on Apple Podcast, Amazon Podcast, or Spotify. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios.